Tuesday, June 09, 2015

A Future and a Hope (2 Corinthians 2:12-18)

Today's scripture: 2 Corinthians 3:12-18

Sometimes, it seems as though there is little to have hope in. We can’t hope in our politicians or leaders. We can’t hope in our jobs or in the economy. We can’t even hope in some relationships.

It seems … well, hopeless.

In this broken, fallen world, there is only one source of true hope: Almighty God. No matter what is happening, He can be trusted to provide, to guide, and to protect.

Ten years ago, I wrote a book that flowed from a retreat talk I give. The Best Laid Plans is based on three of my favorite verses, Jeremiah 29:11-13. In the section about “a future and a hope,” I wrote:
What would a future be without hope? Why in the world would I, would you, want to look forward to another day on this earth without hope that every new day would bring the peace that God promised? … I often wonder how those who don’t know Jesus have hope. What is it they hope for? Is it wealth? Is it possessions? Is it a relationship? And when money or things or people let them down, then what do they hope for? (© 2005)
I still ask these same questions. Without the confidence I have that a loving God is in control, I would have no hope. None.

But because I do believe in God, because I believe His word to be true, because I believe He has a plan for my life, I have hope.

I have hope in His guidance here on earth, and even more, I have hope that one day I will be with Him for eternity.

That’s where my hope is.

No comments: