Friday, June 05, 2015

Words of Affirmation (2 Corinthians 3:1-3)

Today's scripture: 2 Corinthians 3:1-3

This is not a commercial for the book, but I’ve been reading The Five Love Languages by Gary Chapman again. While I’ve read it a few times over the years, now that Russ and I are in a new season of our lives, I thought it would be helpful to be reminded of effective communication based on our primary love languages.

My primary love language is “words of affirmation.” Like many of you, my “tank” is filled when I am affirmed and encouraged. I try to fill the tanks of others by doing the same.

So many today need words of commendation and encouragement. Teachers. Pastors. The girl at the checkout counter. The guy making coffee.

Your friends. Your parents. Your kids …

Your spouse.

Too many go through their days with little encouragement. In fact, they live or work or go to school in places where all they hear are put-downs and belittling words. Their “tanks” are constantly bordering on empty.

Your co-worker. The person sitting across the aisle at school. The person sitting across the dinner table.

What an amazing gift you could give by saying, “I’m proud of you” or “you did a great job” or "thank you for your help" or "I appreciate you."

Simple words, but oh-so-powerful.

Fill someone’s “tank” today.  

No comments: