Monday, July 25, 2016

Constant Prayer (2 Timothy 1:1-4)

Today’s scripture: 2 Timothy 1:1-4

I’m sure I wrote something similar when I began Paul’s first letter to Timothy, but I’m writing again: I really love that love is such an integral part of everything Paul wrote. Every letter he wrote was a love letter.

In this letter, he assured his protégé Timothy of his constant and unfailing love. He called Timothy his “beloved son.” He prayed for God’s grace, mercy, and peace to flow over Timothy.

More importantly? He wrote how he constantly prayed for Timothy. And I believe that. I believe that Paul was so in tune with God that he really did “pray without ceasing” (1 Thess. 5:17) And as he prayed, he prayed for those he loved.

I know I don’t do the same. Oh, I do pray regularly for those I love. Pretty much every day, in fact. But without ceasing? Constantly?

No.

The best thing I can do for those I love is to remember them in prayer. Interceding for their needs, their protection, their peace. And if I don’t, then I’m not showing love as I should.

I want to demonstrate my love by remembering them in prayer. If not constantly, then as often as I can throughout each day. And maybe, one day, constantly.

No comments: