Monday, July 18, 2016

Mighty Dollar? Or Almighty God? (1 Timothy 6:9-10)

Today’s scripture: 1 Timothy 6:9-10

First, let me say that I don’t think the Bible is against the rich. If God has blessed someone with wealth, and that person is generous to those in need and holds his riches loosely, I believe God is pleased.

However, our “more is better” society can truly “snare” people. In order to amass greater wealth, we’ve turned into workaholics, sometimes neglecting our marriages or our children. We live and breathe by the stock market. Our financial statements dictate whether we’re happy or miserable.

We begin to read the Wall Street Journal more often than we do our Bible.

I have to admit, I’ve fallen into the “snare” myself at times. In 2001, my husband and I got caught up with the “McMansion” hype, and sold our perfectly adequate 1200 square foot home for a totally unnecessary 3071 square foot home. Now I will say it served us well when we brought my mother-in-law in to heal after a couple of falls and a couple of surgeries. And we were able to see God bless others as they’ve been able to stay here.

But we soon realized that bigger isn’t really better. Bigger just means more “stuff” … and a lot of it. When we decided to take the plunge, downsize, and move 2100 miles from California to Tennessee, we either sold or donated over 50 percent of our “stuff.” We now live in a lovely little home surrounded by trees. Yes, we still have “stuff”; after all, we need to sit on something. However, we’re making more conscious decisions when it comes to buying anything new.

So ask yourself. Have you gotten caught up in the “more is better” mentality? Have you become consumed with having “stuff”? A bigger house? A nicer car? A fatter portfolio?

Confess to the Lord your preoccupation with the “mighty dollar,” and ask Him what you can do to make Him the priority of your life.

No comments: