Thursday, July 21, 2016

Money-wise (1 Timothy 6:17-19)

Today’s scripture: 1 Timothy 6:17-19

A few days ago, we read Paul’s warning that “the love of money is the root of all kinds of evil.” Today’s verses are a reminder that riches themselves aren’t evil. It’s what we do with them that can be.

If you have monetary wealth, you are blessed—as long as you keep your focus on the Supplier of your wealth. Any riches you have aren’t yours. I know you may like to think otherwise, but everything you have, including your money, is on loan to you from God. He wants you to enjoy what He’s given you, but He also expects you to bless others as you have been blessed.

I read somewhere (where and when I can’t remember) that if Christians in the United States who are in the top ten percent of earners would really tithe to ministry-minded churches, we could wipe out poverty in the U.S. And if they gave twenty percent, it would take care of the world.

I mean, really. How much do you really need? And where is your money going?

Remember, you can’t take it with you, and I don’t know about you, but I don’t want to stand in front of God one day and show Him my financial portfolio. And I’m positive He wouldn’t care anyway. What I want is to be able to talk about the missionaries my tithing supported or the children who were reached through a reading program that my church invested in.

Certainly, enjoy whatever riches you’ve been blessed with. But make certain you’re pleasing the Father by doing as Paul instructed: “do good, to be rich in good works, to be generous and ready to share.”

No comments: