Thursday, December 08, 2016

Acquiring Wisdom and Understanding (James 3:13)

Today’s scripture: James 3:13

I usually feel far from “wise and understanding.” As I continue growing in my faith and learn more about who God is, I realize how little I really know.

But I do realize this: True wisdom equals humility. It equals gentleness. Proverbs 11:2 says, “When pride comes, then comes dishonor, But with the humble is wisdom.”

And how do we gain wisdom? First, we need to know and honor the one true God: “The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge; Fools despise wisdom and instruction” (Proverbs 1:7). Then we need to spend time in His word.

God gave us a written document through which He teaches, exhorts, admonishes, convicts, encourages … When I speak, I often say that He didn’t have to give us His word. He could have just let us “wing it.” However, He loves us so much, He inspired writers over centuries to put to paper what He wants us to know about the history of His people, about what lies ahead of us, and how He wants us to live. Most importantly, He gave us exactly what we need to know to find salvation and how to live in relationship with Him.

That’s how we acquire wisdom. And when we come to know Him more through His word, when we realize how much He’s done for us, we serve Him with gratitude and humility.

And the gentleness and humility others see in us may very well attract them and lead them to the Giver of wisdom.

No comments: