Monday, December 26, 2016

Anticipation ... Is Making Me Wait (James 5:7-8)

Today’s scripture: James 5:7-8

Like many of you, patience is one of the “fruit of the Spirit” that I struggle with the most. Fortunately, the older I get, the easier it is to wait.

But the one thing that I feel really impatient about? Christ’s return.

I really can’t wait … although I know I must.

When I went through Philippians a few months ago, I talked a lot about this when I came to verses 21 and 23 in chapter 1. I believe with all I am that being with Christ is far better than being here on earth.

This earth and all it holds is nothing compared to being in the very presence of my Lord and Savior. Being free from this pain-filled body. Being free from wars and rumors of wars. Being free from natural disasters that maim and destroy.

So, I read words like these from James that I’m to be “patient … until the coming of the Lord.” And I know he’s right. I must patiently wait Christ’s return.

But James reminds me of something else I can do as I wait. I can strengthen my heart. I can grow more like Christ as I study and meditate on the word of God. I can spend time in prayer seeking the Father’s will. I can share the truth of the gospel.

And I can be assured that the “coming of the Lord is near” … nearer than it has ever been.

Oh, Lord Jesus, come quickly! But I’ll patiently wait for You and strengthen my heart as I wait.

No comments: