Tuesday, December 27, 2016

Endurance ... and Blessings (James 5:9-11)

Today’s scripture: James 5:9-11

Endurance.

Webster’s Dictionary defines it as “
the ability to withstand hardship or adversity; especially : the ability to sustain a prolonged stressful effort or activity.” 

James refers to Job, who is certainly an example of one who withstood hardship or adversity. And he received God’s blessings after he endured (Job 42:10-13).

Many of us have had our own “Job moments.” Perhaps you’ve lost a child. Or a home. Or your health. You’ve experienced tragedy and hardship and suffering. Maybe you are still.

And too often, instead of enduring, we try to cover up our pain through alcohol or drugs or rejection of God.

I’ve mentioned in previous blogs that I covered my own suffering through the latter. I turned my back on God whom I blamed for allowing sexual abuse and emotional pain. I didn’t endure.

After I made my way back to God and recognized His compassion and mercy, I experienced new suffering—I continue to suffer today.

But now I’ve learned to endure because I know God is compassionate and merciful. I know He loves me through the pain. I know He gives me strength through my weakness (2 Cor. 12:9). I know I can crawl on His lap and cry out to my Abba.

And one day, after I’ve endured all this world throws at me, I will stand pain-free in the presence of my Lord God (Rev. 21:4). And I pray He’ll smile at me and say, “Well done, my daughter. Well done” (see Matt. 25:14-30).

No comments: