Tuesday, December 13, 2016

God's Friend? Or His Enemy? (James 4:4-6)

Today’s scripture: James 4:4-6

James has been writing about how the tongue can destroy and how conflict between believers can harm and how we don’t receive answers to prayer because of wrong motives.

Now he really lays it on the line.

He accuses those of us who have “friendship with the world” as adulteresses. And rightfully so. The church, the body of Christ, is described as the bride of Christ (Revelation 19:7; 21:2, 9; 22:17). And what do we call a bride who cheats on her bridegroom?

So if we cheat on the Lord by being friends with the world, we are rightly called adulteresses. We are enemies of God.

Wow.

I don’t know about you, but that thought makes me cringe. I in no way want to be God’s enemy. But I see myself often spending more time watching TV shows that don’t honor God or reading books that don’t nurture my faith. Time that I should be spending with my Bridegroom.

But there is hope. God’s grace. If we humble ourselves and come to Him, surrendering our lives to Him, He showers us with His grace. He forgives our sins. And He invites us to one day attend the marriage feast.

When you one day stand before God’s throne, whose friend do you want to be?

No comments: