Monday, January 02, 2017

The Lord Speaks Peace (Psalm 85:8)

Today’s scripture: Psalm 85:8

For quite a while now, these weekday devotionals have focused on books of the Bible, taking them verse by verse. This year, I’m going to shift a bit. Instead of entire books, I’m going to look at themes. The first? Peace.

For the next few weeks, I’m going to include entries from a devotional I wrote a few years ago on that very topic:

I was driving into work, minding my own business, when a pick-up truck decided to pass me on a winding road. Just as he passed me, a car from the opposite way sped around the corner. The truck swerved in front of me, and I slammed on my brakes.

My heart beating out of my chest, I cried out as I watched the car behind me come ever closer. Praise God, no one hit anyone else, but it took the rest of the drive for my heart to calm . . . and even longer for my spirit to calm.

I’d started the day feeling nothing close to peace. I had to ask the Lord to restore my peace, and He did exactly what the psalmist said He would; He spoke peace to my heart, reminding me that He is in loving control of everything.

How often do we allow circumstances or other people to take the peace that God has promised us? Just take it from our hearts? If we can stop and listen to God, and seek His peace, He will shower us with that peace. He will whisper words of comfort. He promises.

Think of a time when someone or something stole the peace from your heart. How did you feel? Did you stop to hear God’s voice? Ask God to speak peace to your heart right now.

No comments: