Monday, May 24, 2010

A Blessed Woman (Ruth 3:10-13)

Then he said, “Blessed are you of the LORD, my daughter! For you have shown more kindness at the end than at the beginning, in that you did not go after young men, whether poor or rich. And now, my daughter, do not fear. I will do for you all that you request, for all the people of my town know that you are a virtuous woman. Now it is true that I am a close relative; however, there is a relative closer than I. Stay this night, and in the morning it shall be that if he will perform the duty of a close relative for you—good; let him do it. But if he does not want to perform the duty for you, then I will perform the duty for you, as the LORD lives! Lie down until morning.”
(Ruth 3:10-13, NKJV)

Stop and think a moment. Poor Ruth left friends and family and home. She followed Naomi to a foreign land. She chose to follow what was, to her, a foreign God. She obeyed Naomi’s odd instructions. And now that she did what her mother-in-law asked, she had to wait again to see if Boaz would be her kinsman redeemer.

Boaz’s description of Ruth is spot-on. She was blessed. She was kind. She was virtuous. Even more, she was loving and compassionate, caring and trusting, faithful and loyal.

If someone were to describe me, would they use the same adjectives? What about you?

I have to ask myself: Do I exhibit kindness and compassion? Would my friends and family call me virtuous and faithful? I hope so … but it does make me want to truly radiate these attributes. Not so others will describe me well, but that my Lord God will shine through me. Just as He shone through Ruth.

No comments: