Saturday, May 15, 2010

Who Am I? (Ruth 2:8-10)

Then Boaz said to Ruth, “You will listen, my daughter, will you not? Do not go to glean in another field, nor go from here, but stay close by my young women. Let your eyes be on the field which they reap, and go after them. Have I not commanded the young men not to touch you? And when you are thirsty, go to the vessels and drink from what the young men have drawn.” So she fell on her face, bowed down to the ground, and said to him, “Why have I found favor in your eyes, that you should take notice of me, since I am a foreigner?”
(Ruth 2:8-10, NKJV)

Boaz invited Ruth to glean in his fields and offered her protection by commanding the “young men not to touch” her. All because she was part of his extended family.

But I want to focus on Ruth’s words: “Why have I found favor in your eyes, that you should take notice of me …?”

Just as I love Ruth’s words to Naomi in verses 15-17 that speak so eloquently of devotion and faithfulness, I love these in verse 10. To me, these are the same words I often speak to the Lord. So often, I’m overwhelmed as I think of how richly God has blessed me. I live in freedom, to worship as I choose, to enjoy relative peace. I have a wonderfully-supportive husband who, after 22 years of marriage, is still my best friend. I reside in a lovely home. I enjoy an amazing ministry speaking to and encouraging women to grow in their faith.

And then I say in wonder, “Why have I found favor in Your eyes, that you should take notice of me?” Or I resonate with the psalmist in chapter 8, verse 4: “Why do you bother with us? Why take a second look our way?” (The Message)

Just as Ruth didn’t understand how Boaz would provide and protect her, I don’t understand the immense love and grace God showers on me.

But I’m oh-so-grateful He does!

No comments: