Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Sit Still (Ruth 3:14-18)

So she lay at his feet until morning, and she arose before one could recognize another. Then he said, “Do not let it be known that the woman came to the threshing floor.” Also he said, “Bring the shawl that is on you and hold it.” And when she held it, he measured six ephahs of barley, and laid it on her. Then she went into the city. When she came to her mother-in-law, she said, “Is that you, my daughter?” Then she told her all that the man had done for her. And she said, “These six ephahs of barley he gave me; for he said to me, ‘Do not go empty-handed to your mother-in-law.’” Then she said, “Sit still, my daughter, until you know how the matter will turn out; for the man will not rest until he has concluded the matter this day.”
(Ruth 3:14-18, NKJV)

Patience. Something many of us struggle with.

It appears that perhaps sweet, loving Ruth may have struggled with it as well. After following Naomi’s strange instructions and spending the night at Boaz’s feet, she had to wait. She still didn’t know what her future held. Would Boaz, who had shown her such kindness, be her kinsman redeemer? Or would a stranger play a key role?

Naomi must have seen Ruth’s agitation. And she told her to relax. “Sit still,” she said. Be patient. Wait.

Not an easy thing to do, especially when your future is at stake. Are you waiting right now? For a child? For a job? For a spouse? For a move? Are you uncertain about what’s next on your life’s journey.

I’m right with you. Since taking part in a layoff from my job in February, I’ve enjoyed a time of both relaxation and productivity. It’s been great to get some important tasks done. But now I’m looking forward to the next leg of my own journey. And I have no idea where God is taking me.

So I wait. I “sit still.” This is where trust comes in. Trust that God is in loving control. Trust that His plan is best and will be fulfilled in His timing.

It’s times like these when we need to remember to just “Be still, and know that [He] is God.”

No comments: