Sunday, May 09, 2010

Mother and Daughter Love (Ruth 1:9b-11b)

So she kissed them, and they lifted up their voices and wept. And they said to her, “Surely we will return with you to your people.” But Naomi said, “Turn back, my daughters; why will you go with me? …”
(Ruth 1:9b-11a, NKJV)

Today’s verses are so poignant. They’re why I think these three women loved each other deeply. After Naomi sadly instructed her daughters-in-law to return to their people, they both wept and stated they’d rather go with Naomi.

Then I love how Naomi calls them “daughters.” Not “in-laws,” but daughters. This reminds me so much of my own Ruth. She used to call me her “daughter-in-love.” Having had only sons, she saw me as her daughter, not merely the wife of her son.

On this day that’s been set aside to honor mothers, I’d like to wish a Happy Mother’s Day to each and every mother, mother-in-law, grandmother, aunt, and mentor—really anyone who’s had a child or has been an influence in a child’s life. May you enjoy all the younger people around you. May you be uniquely blessed this day. May you know great love, especially from your Father.

No comments: