Thursday, July 18, 2013

Betrayal (John 13:21-30)


Today's scripture: John 13:21-30

When I think of what Jesus did for me, my heart breaks. I'm not just talking about His death. Throughout His ministry, Jesus was challenged and ridiculed. His life was threatened.

Yet I think one of the most heartbreaking things that Jesus experienced on His journey to the cross was the betrayal by Judas Iscariot. Judas was one of Jesus' chosen twelve. He had walked with the Master for three years. He had listened to words of truth. He had seen the blind see, the deaf hear, the lame walk. He had watched as Lazarus walked out of the grave.

And just moments ago, Jesus had knelt at his feet and washed them. I imagine that moment. Jesus kneeling at the feet of the man who would betray Him. Can you imagine what might have been going through each man's mind? Jesus, knowing what Judas was about to do, still gazed at him with love. I imagine His heart broke. He loved this man, yet He knew Judas' heart was open to the lies of the enemy.

It's harder for me to imagine Judas' mind, though. I have to believe he cared for Jesus. I don't think Judas betrayed Jesus because he hated Him; I think he was just really greedy. We already read of his response when Mary anointed Jesus' feet. We know from John's words that Judas lined his own pockets with offerings given to Jesus. I honestly believe Judas thought Jesus would be imprisoned, but I don't think he thought the Master would be killed.

In any case, no matter Judas' motives, he did indeed betray Jesus for 30 pieces of silver. And Jesus watched one of His closest friends leave "immediately" to hand Him over to the chief priests and Pharisees.

Jesus understands us. He knows us. He knows our hearts. And He completely, totally understands betrayal. If you've been betrayed by a friend or a spouse or a family member, He knows what you're going through. You can go to Him and open your heart to Him. Give Him your pain. Give Him your sorrow. He knows what you're feeling.

No comments: