Friday, July 12, 2013

The Gift of Biblical Truth (John 12:27-36a)


Today's scripture: John12:27-36a

I have tremendous admiration and respect for Bible scholars, for those men and women who have spent hour upon hour digging more and more deeply into God's word. They look at original language and context. They look at cultural norms. Then, they prayerfully interpret and comment on the truth of God's word. They have such a wonderful gift.

I'm not that gifted. Sometimes, when I meditate on a scripture for a day's devotional, the words just flow. Other times, so much richness exists that it's difficult to even get started. As I read through today's verses, I was overwhelmed. So much in a few verses ...

But my heart is touched by a few things.

First, I again see Jesus' willingness to serve. He knew His death was imminent, and He knew His dying was His purpose for coming to earth. Yet, He demonstrated His humanity by His troubled soul. We too have troubled souls sometimes. We may prefer not to do something that God calls us to do, but we can do as He wills in order to glorify the Lord—just as Jesus did.

Second, I love when I find something new in God's word. I've read the book of John many times, but it hasn't computed that the Father spoke about the Son in these verses. I'm very familiar with the verses describing His speaking when Jesus was baptized, but I'd missed it here. When God spoke audibly, it was such an amazing witness to Jesus' being God the Son. And it certainly went a long way to convince those who heard His voice.

Third, Jesus again prophesied about His death. This time, however, some in the crowd questioned Him. They believed He was the Messiah, yet their teachings led them to believe that the "
Christ is to remain forever ..." Even though they'd seen (or had heard of) Jesus' miraculous raising Lazarus from the dead, they didn't understand that He Himself could die and live again. However, they would, very soon, know exactly what He meant. Yes, He would die, but He would leave the grave, and indeed would "remain forever."

Finally, Jesus used one of my favorite metaphors: He is light. We live in such a dark world, and it grows ever-darker. Sometimes, it seems like the darkness is taking over. But we know that just one candle can pierce the darkness, and our Savior is more than just a single candle. His light shines through and completely obliterates the darkness. Because we are His, we too can shine His light in a dark world. We can also be assured that His light will one day completely conquer the darkness of sin. One day, His light will be the only light we need (Revelation 21:23; 22:5).

Wow. So much on which to meditate. So much to learn. I can't wait to see what Monday's devotional brings! Have a great weekend!

No comments: