Monday, July 22, 2013

Encouraging Words (John 14:1-6)

Today's scripture: John 14:1-6

Oh, how I love these verses! So many wonderful words of encouragement!

I learn from the word of my Lord that I don’t need to be troubled about anything. God has a plan for my life here on earth, and I can believe in Him and trust Him. Even more, He has a plan for my eternity. These words give me such hope. I wrote about this very thing in my book, The Best Laid Plans:

Jesus is in heaven waiting for us. He’s prepared our homes for us. Isn’t that the most awesome thing? I love watching home decorating shows on cable television, and sometimes I imagine Jesus designing my perfect Queen Anne-style mansion, just for me. No, the Bible doesn’t say we’ll have a mansion fashioned after our favorite architectural style, but it’s a nice thought, isn’t it? What matters is that Jesus promises that we have our homes waiting for us in heaven. But wait! Don’t rush by the last part of that passage: He’s promised to come and get us! It’s because of that promise that our hearts need not be troubled.
Jesus has promised a permanent dwelling place for me in the new heaven and earth. One day, I’ll be with Him always because He has promised to “come again and receive [me] to [Himself].” One day, I will be where He is. Isn’t that a wonderful promise?! I don’t know about you, but I am so encouraged by the reminder that He’s coming back for me—and you. And prayerfully, very soon!

One other word of encouragement from today’s verses comes in the last … Jesus is “the way, the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but through [Him].” These words encourage me because they remind me that there’s nothing I can do in order to be saved; nothing I can do will get me to heaven. Now, for some, these may not be encouraging. Perhaps they want to reach heaven on their own merit. If they’re good enough, then they’ll make it. How depressing! If I thought I had to make it on my own, I’d give up because I know I’m not “good enough” … whatever that is. No, I can be confident that my salvation comes by grace through belief in and acceptance of God’s gift of salvation through the death and resurrection of His Son, Jesus Christ.

He is the one and only way to the Father. He is the only truth and eternal life. One day, I’ll reside with Him forever. And ever.

No comments: