Tuesday, July 09, 2013

Words of Comfort (Psalm 23:4)

I've been writing this devotional since 2006 and regularly each weekday since 2010. I'm blessed with a small, but faithful group of readers, and I pray each of you has been blessed. I've said before (and I'll say it again!) that I would continue to write even if no one read. Taking time to really dig in and meditate on God's word has helped to strengthen my own faith.

Every once in a while, though, I wake up, and my mind is mush (this happens far more frequently than I'd like!). Usually, if I pray and really focus, the Holy Spirit gives me the words. Today, however, I just can't seem to find those words about the verses I was to write about.

So, as I sit here, I realize that what I need to hear are words of comfort, words that remind me that my Lord and Savior is right by my side. You see, I haven't been feeling well lately. Most of you know that I deal with several health issues. The last few weeks have been rough. God, in His grace, has sustained me, and yet there are days when it's harder than usual. This is one of those days.

I spent some time this morning whining (transparent, aren't I?!), and then just laying everything at my Lord's feet, knowing He'll carry me through. Then I prayed. Just prayed, and the Lord reminded me of a promise spoken through the words of David. I learned them this way as a child:

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me (Psalm 23:4, KJV).
I love these words. Love them. It may sound melodramatic, but sometimes I do feel I'm walking through a shadowed valley. I can't see before me; the pathway is so dark. Then I remember: I'm not alone. My Lord is with me.

I like the New Living Translation of this verse, and it is these words that I'm meditating on this morning:

Even when I walk through the darkest valley,
I will not be afraid,
for you are close beside me.
Your rod and your staff
protect and comfort me.
I read these words, and I see a few things.

First, I will walk through dark valleys. The words "even when" are indicative of something likely to occur. It doesn't say if I do; it says even when I will do. Hard times are guaranteed.

The second point, however, reminds me that I needn't be afraid because my Lord is close beside me. I am never, ever alone. Never. I often say that not only is Jesus always by my side, there are days when He carries me, just as a shepherd carries an injured lamb.

The third point is that Jesus protects me. He protects me from the whispers of the enemy who would love to pull me away from the Lord. If you deal with chronic pain, you may have heard the enemy whisper things like: You know, if Jesus really loved you, He wouldn't let you feel such pain. I'm protected against these whispers because I know I will experience trials. This fallen, sinful world is full of pain and suffering, and I'm currently in this world. So, Jesus protects me from those lies by reminding my what the word of God says (verses such as James 1:2-4; 1 Peter 1:6-7) about the purpose of trials.

The final point, and the one I cling to today, is that Jesus comforts me. I went through a Bible study about becoming more intimate with God with my small group earlier this year. I'd already had a visual about climbing onto my Abba's lap and sharing my heart with Him. The Lord gave me a new visual during this study. Just as John leaned against Jesus' breast at the Last Supper, I can lean against His breast and feel His heart beat with love for me. I am so comforted when I remember how very much He loves me.

I don't know where you are today. Maybe your mind is mush, and you just can't seem to find the words. Maybe you're walking that very dark path, and you feel alone. Maybe you're in pain, and you need comfort. Remember your loving Savior is with you. He will always be with you (Hebrews 13:5). He loves you more that you can imagine (Jeremiah 31:3).

Just lift your hand and say, "Lord Jesus, please hold my hand more tightly today."

And He will.

No comments: