Thursday, October 30, 2014

God of My Strength (Psalm 43:1-2)



Today's scripture: Psalm 43:1-2

I wrote yesterday about God's being my strength and saving refuge. Today, we visit a new psalm that starts out in apparent opposition. Yes, He is the "God of my strength," but the psalmist today asks, "Why do You cast me off?"

If God is my strength, why would He ever "cast me off"? I don't believe He ever does. He promises to never leave us alone (Hebrews 13:5). He loves us everlastingly (Jeremiah 31:3).

But, I completely relate with the psalmist's words. Sometimes, I too feel oppressed by the enemy. Sometimes, it seems like the enemy of my soul's whispers are louder than the still, small voice of the Lord.

When I'm extra tired or the pain is extra strong, it's easy for me to get a bit depressed, and it's during those moments when I feel "cast off." I feel alone in my suffering.

Sometimes, I just feel alone ...

In those moments, I have to listen more closely to the voice of God. I have to cling more tightly to Him. I have to remember even more purposefully His blessings and how He's carried me in the past.

I have to trust His promises ... because He truly is the "God of my strength."

No comments: