Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Watch Your Tongue! (Psalm 19:14)



Today's scripture: Psalm 19:14

I mentioned a few days ago that I'm studying the book of James with my small group. We recently studied chapter 3 verses 2-12 where James discusses the power of the tongue. Today's verses reminded me so much of James 3:8-10:

But no one can tame the tongue; it is a restless evil and full of deadly poison. With it we bless our Lord and Father, and with it we curse men, who have been made in the likeness of God; from the same mouth come both blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not to be this way.

This is so very, very true.

Warning: I'm climbing up on my soapbox ... We should always use words that glorify God. I see people who call themselves Christians using vulgarities and saying hateful things about others. How does this in any way glorify God? Or as James says, "these things ought not to be this way."

I've found Philippians 4:8 to be a wonderful "litmus test" regarding what I think, say, and do. I don't always succeed, but I find if my focus is on those things that are good, pure, true, and excellent, I'm much more likely to think, say, and do things that glorify the Lord.

We really should pray that our words are "acceptable" in the sight of God.

No comments: