Saturday, July 30, 2011

Call Upon the Lord (Ps. 99:6-8)

Moses and Aaron were among His priests,
And Samuel was among those who called on His name;
They called upon the LORD and He answered them.
He spoke to them in the pillar of cloud;
They kept His testimonies
And the statute that He gave them.
O LORD our God, You answered them;
You were a forgiving God to them,
And yet an avenger of their evil deeds.

(Psalm 99:6-8, NASB)

Jehovah God never changes. He is the same as He was in the days of Moses, Aaron and Samuel. When they called upon Him, He answered them. He does the same today.

That’s what prayer is all about: Calling on God and listening to His answer.

Sometimes, though, we can get caught up in the calling and forget about the listening. Or am I the only one who does this?

I love to intercede for my friends and family. I love praying for their needs, for provision, for peace and comfort.

And doing this is a very good thing.

But all too often, I’m so busy doing that very good thing that I neglect to just sit quietly and listen to God’s voice. I wrote this in my book The Best Laid Plans:
The most important thing about listening for God’s voice is that, in order for Him to be heard, you must be silent. God doesn’t want to compete with the world’s noise, nor should He. We know God, we hear His voice, in the stillness, in the quiet. God tells us to “Be still, and know that I am God.” (Psalm 46:10) King David said with confidence that “the Lord has set apart for Himself him who is godly; the Lord will hear when I call to Him . . . Meditate within your heart on your bed, and be still” (Psalm 4:3,4). (© 2005 Sauni Rinehart)
God promises to answer when we call out to Him, when we listen quietly for His voice.

Just as He did with Moses, Aaron, and Samuel

No comments: