Saturday, July 23, 2011

God In Our Midst (Ps. 46:4-5)

There is a river whose streams make glad the city of God,
The holy dwelling places of the Most High.
God is in the midst of her, she will not be moved;
God will help her when morning dawns.

(Psalm 46:4-5, NASB)

Someday, I’m going to take a class on the Old Testament. There’s so much in it that I think I understand, but I’m probably wrong. Take today’s verses. I think they’re prophetic, talking about the new heaven and new earth John describes in Revelation. But even if that’s true, there’s a nugget we can take away now, I believe.

If God is “in the midst” of things, we too “will not be moved.” God will help us when morning dawns. I absolutely love the fact of God’s omnipresence. He’s with me at all times. He’s here to protect me, provide for me, strengthen me. He’s “in the midst” of my life, always.

This has been one of those “best of times, worst of times” weeks.

I started out Monday morning feeling great, full of energy. For three days, I volunteered at my church’s VBS, teaching a group of sweet second-graders. Monday evening, I demonstrated a Dove tasting party. Tuesday evening, I had a rehearsal for a play I’m in. So much fun!

Then Thursday morning, I awoke in much-more-than-usual pain. It became very clear that I’d overdone it. And I spent the last two days in bed. It would be easy to fret about this: How will I handle today’s Dove tasting party and all the other things I have to do this weekend? Well, here’s the deal: I won’t. God has carried me through times like this in the past, and “when morning dawns,” I have confidence He’ll help me again.

Thank You, Abba Father, that You’re in the midst of our lives. Be glorified this day. Amen.

No comments: