Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Cease Striving (Ps. 46:10-11)

"Cease striving and know that I am God;
I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth."
The LORD of hosts is with us;
The God of Jacob is our stronghold. Selah.

(Psalm 46:10-11, NASB)

The psalmist nicely wraps up with today’s verses. He starts with a very important command: “Cease striving and know that I am God.” Other translations say, “Be still …” Or as the Contemporary English Version says, “Calm down, and learn that I am God!”

I often speak about God’s plans for our lives, and I talk about how we can hear God’s voice. I use this verse as an important guideline. We must be still. We must cease striving to do things on our own. That’s how we begin to hear the voice of our Lord.

Being still is hard for some of us, myself included. But I can tell you from experience, when I sit silently before God’s throne and pray for all distractions to leave my heart and mind, it’s then when I feel God’s presence intimately. It’s then when I hear His voice speaking softly to my heart.

It’s hard to cease striving or be still or calm down in our crazy, hectic world. But may I encourage you? Take a moment today to just be still in the presence of your Father. It’ll change your life. I guarantee it!

No comments: