Friday, July 22, 2011

My Refuge and Strength (Ps. 46:1-3)

God is our refuge and strength,
A very present help in trouble.
Therefore we will not fear, though the earth should change
And though the mountains slip into the heart of the sea;
Though its waters roar and foam,
Though the mountains quake at its swelling pride. Selah.

(Psalm 46:1-3, NASB)

For the next few days, we’re going to spend some time in one of my favorite psalms. And it starts with verses I’ve committed to memory, that have brought me comfort many, many times:
God is our refuge and strength,
A very present help in trouble.
Therefore we will not fear …
I love these words. So many times I need a refuge, and God is there. So many mornings, I wake up weak and aching, and God is my strength. Every moment of every day, He is my present help. My present help.

So I never have to fear. Through earthquakes and floods, I don’t have to fear.

I don’t know about you, but these words bring me such peace, such hope. On days like today when, physically, I have absolutely no strength, when the pain is unrelenting, I know God will be my refuge and strength. He’ll be my shelter, my help.

And so I can move forward with confidence, without fear. So can you.

No comments: