Monday, January 28, 2013

Hope Laid Up in Heaven (Colossians 1:3-8)



Today's scripture: Colossians 1:3-8

As I read through these verses, several phrases "pop":

  • "... we heard of your faith in Jesus Christ and the love you have for all the saints ..."

  • "... the gospel which has come to you, just as in all the world also it is constantly bearing fruit and increasing ..."

  • "... your love in the Spirit ..."

What wonderful words of affirmation! The recipients of Paul's letter must have been encouraged when they read these words. Wouldn't you love it if these words were spoken about you? That you were a faithful servant, loving your brothers and sisters in Christ? That because you were spreading the gospel, God was bearing fruit through you? 

I know I want to live in a way that others would see God's faithfulness and love through me. I pray I'm bearing fruit to grow God's kingdom.

But do you know which words most touch my heart today? "... the hope laid up in heaven ..."

The older I get and the longer I reside on this rapidly-declining earth, the more I hope for heaven. And my hope is two-fold. I hope for the shedding of this earthly flesh and spending eternity with my Lord. And I hope for the time when I can see how God has borne fruit through me. I don't know how many lives God has touched through me, but I look forward to the day when I stand in heaven and someone–and maybe it's just one–comes up to me and says, "Thank you for being faithful to God's call on your life. It's because of you that I'm here today."

Are you fulfilling God's call on your life? Are you seeking His will so that you too can be called faithful and loving on earth, and one day, you'll too see the fruit of your earthly labors?

No comments: