Wednesday, January 09, 2013

Testifing Faith (3 John 1:1-4)


Today's scripture: 3 John 1:1-4

We’ve journeyed through John’s first two epistles. Now we’ll study God’s wisdom that flowed out of John’s pen in his third and final letter.

A couple of things stand out to me in these verses.

First, John prayed that his recipient “
may prosper in all things and be in health …” We hear a lot these days about a prosperity gospel that says God wants all His children to prosper (i.e., be rich). Since we’re not all rich, does that mean we aren’t children of God? I don’t think so. John adds a caveat: He prays that they prosper, “just as your soul prospers.”

And how does our soul prosper? By meditating on God’s word. By communing with Him in prayer and solitude. By glorifying Him. By surrendering everything to Him.

God may indeed bless us with financial wealth, but He would rather see our souls “prosperous” than our having huge bank accounts.

Second, John gave a most beautiful commendation of the faith of his recipient: “For I rejoiced greatly when brethren came and testified of the truth that is in you, just as you walk in the truth.” His heart burst with godly pride as he saw his spiritual children share truth, so much so that others “testified” of their faith.

And so I’m convicted. Would others “testify” of my faith? Would my spiritual “parents” be filled with joy as they heard of how I served God and others?

I pray so. And I want to make certain those who led and mentored me in my faith would be delighted in how I live for God.  How I walk in truth.

No comments: