Thursday, June 12, 2014

Prolonged Days (Psalm 61:5-6)


Today's scripture: 61:5-6

Now back to Psalm 61 ...

My husband and I were at a consultation with his dentist on Tuesday, and the dentist talked about how technology has changed as people are living longer. It used to be that, if someone lost teeth, he would just wear dentures. That was okay when people were living only into their 60s or 70s. However, now that many are living into their 80s or 90s ... or even 100s ... dentures just don't cut it.

God, for some reason, is "prolonging" the lives, not of kings, but of all of us.

Now, for some, this is good news. They're so focused on this earth and its enticements that they hope to live as long as possible. They exercise and eat healthy diets. They take every supplement known to man. They jump on the bandwagon of every potion that promises to keep them alive and kicking.

I guess I'm different. This world has long since lost its attraction. Watching the news makes me sad or frustrated or angry. Too much pain and suffering. Too much "man against man."

I totally agree with Paul when he writes things like "for me to live is Christ, and to die is gain" (NKJV, Philippians 1:21) and "I am hard-pressed between the two, having a desire to depart and be with Christ, which is far better" (v. 23).

I desire little more that to be with my God. However, as long as God prolongs my days, I know He has a purpose for me. It may be as simple as writing this devotional or as profound as leading someone to Christ.

It's the same for you. Your days are prolonged for a purpose. Ask Him what your prolonged days are meant for. What's your purpose ... this day?

No comments: