Wednesday, June 25, 2014

The Lord Always Before Me (Psalm 16:7-8)



Today's scripture: Psalm 16:7-8

I've never been one who hears an audible voice when God speaks, but I have heard Him. Usually, He speaks in that "still small voice" we read about in 1 Kings 19:12. Many times I have prayed for something, and I've heard His voice in my heart. He counsels me to do those things that please Him. He guides me down paths that lead to His purpose. He reveals His will to me.

Hearing God's voice, though, requires one thing, though. We need to focus on Him, without distractions:

The most important thing about listening for God’s voice is that, in order for Him to be heard, you must be silent. God doesn’t want to compete with the world’s noise, nor should He. We know God, we hear His voice, in the stillness, in the quiet. God tells us to “Be still, and know that I am God” (Psalm 46:10). King David said with confidence that “the Lord has set apart for Himself him who is godly; the Lord will hear when I call to Him . . . Meditate within your heart on your bed, and be still” (Psalm 4:3-4).
(The Best Laid Plans © 2005 Sauni Rinehart)

When we focus on God and truly listen to Him, He speaks to us. So, as The Message paraphrases verse 8 of today's scripture:

Day and night I’ll stick with God;
    I’ve got a good thing going and I’m not letting go.

No comments: