Tuesday, June 10, 2014

My Shelter (Psalm 61:3-4)



Today's scripture: Psalm 61:3-4

I've been very blessed. I've always had a roof over my head, a shelter from any storms (not that living in Southern California brings that many storms ...). I've never been homeless ... physically, that is.

There have been many times, however, when I've been spiritually homeless.

When I was in the throes of rebellion against God, I was tossed about by the waves of discontent, anger, and unforgiveness. I had no shelter to protect me from the storm. I was open to the attacks of the enemy.

Then I found my way back to the One who offers true shelter, the strong tower that protects me from the enemy. And for over twenty years, I've rested in the "shelter of [my God's] wings."

I have to say, though, I still have days when I still have need of shelter from emotional homelessness. Daily pain and weariness often make me feel like I'm alone in the storm, that there is no protection from relentless waves. Sometimes, because I work from home and have limited interaction with others, I feel the pounding rain of loneliness.

On those days, I run to the shelter, the strong tower, of the God of the universe. I crawl beneath His protective wings. I feel His arms of love.

And I trust that He'll shelter me from any storms I face ... always.

No comments: