Friday, May 02, 2014

Meditate and Be Still (Psalm 4:4b)


Today's scripture: Psalm 4:4b: "Meditate within your heart on your bed, and be still."

I love today's verse. I really, truly to.

First, I love how I'm given permission to "meditate ... on [my] bed ..."! So many days, all I want to do is curl into a little ball and pull the covers over my head. Often, I'll have my time of Bible study and prayer in bed, and I love that I'm able to spend time with the Lord and still rest my body. God meets me where I am, and if that's my bed, then He's okay with that. Besides, the psalmist says I can!

Second, I love the reminder that we are to "be still." We live such hectic, busy lives. Running here and there. Work. Committees. Kids' activities. Friends. Family. Ministry. Church.

So many things vie for our attention. Sometimes, we get so lost in the noise that we forget to listen for the most important voice: God's. A few years ago, I wrote a book based on a retreat talk I give, and in it I wrote:

The most important thing about listening for God’s voice is that, in order for Him to be heard, you must be silent. God doesn’t want to compete with the world’s noise, nor should He. We know God, we hear His voice, in the stillness, in the quiet. (The Best Laid Plans © 2005 Sauni Rinehart, All Rights Reserved)
Being still, just being quiet in God's presence is a gift. It's something we must do if we want to hear God's voice.

So, now you've been given permission: Spend time today (whether on your bed or not!) in quiet meditation of God's word. Quiet your heart and mind, and be still. Listen for God's voice.

He'll speak to you in those quiet moments.

No comments: