Friday, May 23, 2014

Your Epitaph (Psalm 25:16-22)



Today's scripture: Psalm 25:16-22

What do you want your epitaph to be? What do you want people to say about you when you're gone? What kind of legacy do you want to leave?

I would count it a blessing to be described as a woman of "integrity and uprightness." I've heard integrity as being the same in private as in public. No masks. No hidden agendas. Just "what you see is what you get."

Several people in the Bible have been described with words that illustrate integrity and uprightness. Stephen is called "... a man full of faith and of the Holy Spirit ... full of grace and power" (NASB, Acts 6:5, 8). David is called "a man after [God's] own heart" (1 Samuel 13:14). Abraham "believed God, and it was reckoned to him as righteousness, and he was called the 'friend of God'" (James 2:23). Jacob became the father of the nation of Israel.

Great words for anyone's epitaph, wouldn't you say?

These were not perfect men. We know David committed adultery and arranged for the death of Uriah. Abraham lied twice about Sarah's being his sister. Jacob stole his brother's birthright.

No, they weren't perfect, but they believed in and followed a perfect God. Though they failed sometimes, their hearts were focused on God and His purpose, so they strove to be men of integrity and uprightness.

I may not be (ok, I am not!) perfect, but I too strive to be a woman of integrity and uprightness. I try to be the same person privately and publicly. I do my best to be live the fruit of the Spirit (NKJV, Galatians 5:22) and to filter my thoughts, words, and actions through Philippians 4:8.

Perhaps one day, my epitaph will read something like Stephen's. Or David's. Or Abraham's.

That's the legacy I want to leave. What about you?

No comments: