Friday, May 16, 2014

Never-Remembered Sin (Psalm 25:6-7)




Today's scripture: Psalm 25:6-7

I wasted so much of my youth. Because of abuse I experienced from ages nine to 16, I turned my back on the Lord. I chose my own path and did so much of which I'm not proud.

After I gave my life back to the Lord over 20 years ago, for several years, I would beat myself up for those lost years. After I began to truly meditate and study God's word (see yesterday's devotional for more about this topic!), He would give me "splashes of joy" that reminded me that I was forgiven—completely.

Verses like today's reminded me of God's "tender mercies and ... lovingkindnesses ..." Then, even better, He'd remind me that He doesn't "remember the sins of my youth ..." Elsewhere, I knew I could be confident: "How far has the
Lord taken our sins from us? Farther than the distance from east to west!" (CEV, Psalm 103:12).

Sometimes, the enemy of our souls wants to drag us down and make us wallow in our sins, even those made years ago. This is not the heart of our Father. He promises that "If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness" (NKJV, 1 John 1:9).

Our Savior died as a "once-for-all" sacrifice to pay the penalty for our sins. All He asks is that we "go and sin no more" (NKJV, John 8:11).

Praise God for His mercy and grace ... and thank Him that He remembers our sin no more.

No comments: