Thursday, May 22, 2014

True Prosperity (Psalm 25:12-15)



Today's scripture: Psalm 25:12-15

Much has been said about the so-called prosperity gospel. The name it and claim it. The "if you ask, you'll always receive."

While God always does answer prayer, we may not always get the answer we want. And when we pray for prosperity, we may not become what the world defines as prosperous.

Prosperity in God's view isn't a lot of money, a big house, or a fancy car. It isn't grand exotic vacations. It isn't jewelry or electronics. I believe when the Bible talks about prosperity and "inheriting the earth," it's referring to the future heaven and earth where each of us who has committed his or her life to the Lord will reign with Him forever.

But I also believe in prosperity on earth—just not in terms of net worth. My prosperity is in the blessings God has given me. First and foremost, He has given me a new life through the death and resurrection of His Son. Second, He has given me a wonderful, supportive husband. Third, He has given me a loving family and amazing friends. Finally, He has given me a job and a vocation I love.

I may not be prosperous as the world defines prosperous, but I feel tremendously, overwhelmingly rich in God's blessings.

No comments: