Monday, May 05, 2014

Put Your Trust in the Lord (Psalm 4:5)


Today's scripture: Psalm 4:5

"... put your trust in the Lord."

Sometimes, this is very easy. When things are going well, bills are paid, and the kids are healthy. When you're working at the perfect job or dating "the one." When you're on the winning team or just closed escrow on your dream home. Then it's easy to put your trust in the Lord.

But life isn't always perfect, is it? In fact, more often than not, things don't go well. You find yourself doing some creative financing just to get this month's bills paid. Your child is down with the flu ... again. You just tolerate your job. Your boyfriend just said the dreaded words, "It's not you. It's me." Your team is 9-0 or your house is in foreclosure.

Or even worse, your doctor says, "I'm sorry. It's cancer."

Can you trust in the Lord even then?

I've been journaling for over 20 years, and each time I start a new journal, I read the previous. The last 20 years' journey has been a combination of ups and downs, twists and turns. Times when I've been on top of the world; times when I've been in the deepest valley.

Trusting God hasn't always been easy, and over the years, there have been times when I cried out in confusion and frustration, "Why?!"

Fortunately, I've learned that God's ways really aren't mine, and His thoughts are so far higher than mine (Isaiah 55:8-9). I've learned that His plan for me really is one of hope and a future (Jeremiah 29:11).

No, my life isn't perfect. My health continues to decline, slowly but surely. My everyday pain isn't going away nor am I suddenly infused with energy. More days than not have me asking for strength—just to make it through the day.

I don't understand why God has chosen not to heal me, and I certainly continue to pray that He will one day. But even if I continue to live in pain, even if I get to a place where all I can do is lay in bed ... well, then I can still trust Him because I know how He loves me. I trust in His grace and mercy and compassion.

Trusting God isn't always easy, but I know that it's the only way I can live my life: trusting Him that all things really do (and will) work together for my good and His purpose (Romans 8:28).

No comments: