Friday, May 09, 2014

Return, O Lord! (Psalm 6:4-5)


Today's scripture: Psalm 6:4-5

So far, this year of psalms has focused more on those that are uplifting. However, many of the most touching, convicting, or poignant psalms are those that are cries from the heart. Yesterday, as we began meditating on Psalm 6, we cried out along with the psalmist.

Today's verses contain both a cry for deliverance and an heartfelt plea.

We only have one life to live—and our time on earth is so very brief. As I've written a few times over the last few days, this world continues to grow ever-darker. It's difficult to imagine it getting any worse ... and then it does.

I don't know about you, but I am longing for Christ's return with everything in me. Without the hope of His return (or my leaving this earth to be with Him), I would have no hope. None at all. And so, I cry the words, "Return, O Lord, deliver me!"

Then we read that "heartfelt plea" in verse five: "... in death, there is no remembrance of You ..." I have to admit that, at first, I didn't quite get this. I believe that everyone, whether in heaven or hell, will remember God. So, I referenced one of
my favorite commentaries. Although the language is older, the truth is clear. Matthew Henry writes:

Lord, if thou deliver me and comfort me, I will not only give thee thanks for my deliverance, and stir up others to join with me in these thanksgivings, but I will spend the new life thou shalt entrust me with in thy service and to thy glory, and all the remainder of my days I will preserve a grateful remembrance of thy favours to me, and be quickened thereby in all instances of service to thee but, if I die, I shall be cut short of that opportunity of honouring thee and doing good to others ... (emphasis mine)
I completely agree that, once I leave this earth, my ability to reach others for Christ is gone. I cannot influence or encourage others to know my precious Savior.

My heart is burdened for those who are seeking fulfillment in the world. With enough "stuff," they think they can find hope and peace and joy. They reject the God of the Bible and figure they'll find their own way to heaven—if they even believe in heaven. They will never know the joy of a relationship with Christ on earth.

Although I long for Christ's return and truly believe that "to die is gain" (see Philippians 1:19-21), as long as I'm living, I can "remember" God and share His truth with others.

No comments: