Monday, August 04, 2014

Count Your Blessings (Psalm 26:6-8)


Today's scripture: Psalm 26:6-8

Thanksgiving. Giving thanks. Showing gratitude.

Sometimes, I get so caught up in the day-to-day "stuff" of life, I forget how truly, truly blessed I am. I focus on what's wrong rather than what is amazingly right. I get caught up in daily pain or stress instead of reveling in the joy I have just being the daughter of my Father.

I want to have an "attitude of gratitude." I want to wake up every morning, thanking God for a new day to do His purpose. I want to "count my blessings." Remember that old chorus?

Count your blessings, name them one by one,
Count your blessings, see what God has done!

The song goes on for seven stanzas, ending with:
Count your blessings, count them seven by seven,
Count your many blessings, count them all the way to heaven!

Even on the darkest days when the very act of moving causes pain, I can count my blessings.

I can thank Him for grace and mercy. I can thank Him for my supportive, loving husband. I can thank Him for a flexible, purposeful vocation. I can thank Him for a lovely home. I can thank Him for friends and family. I can thank Him for my two four-legged kids.

I can even thank Him for the pain that keeps my mind and heart close to Him.

Every day, I can "proclaim with the voice of thanksgiving, and tell of [His] wondrous works."

Every day.

No comments: