Monday, August 18, 2014

Rejoice! (Psalm 13:5-6)



Today's scripture: Psalm 13:5-6

We've talked a lot about mercy over the last couple of weeks, so I'm not going to focus on the first part of verse five. Instead, I'm going to focus on two words: rejoice and bountifully.

The psalmist writes, "My heart shall rejoice in Your salvation" and "Because He has dealt bountifully with me." Now, I know, in context, the because is tied to "I will sing to the Lord ..." However, I think it's safe to say that I can rejoice because how bountifully I am blessed.

See where I'm going with this?

Rejoice means to "feel or show great joy or delight." Joy is a state of being; it is finding contentment no matter the circumstances. Even in the difficult times I can rejoice because I know God has a plan and a purpose.

Today, though, we're tying rejoice and bountifully together.

Every person who has committed his or her heart and life to Jesus is already blessed. Forgiveness. Grace. Mercy. Never-ending love. Eternity with our Lord.

But I submit that we who follow Christ in the United States are bountifully blessed. If you're reading this you either own or have access to a computer or some other device. Which means you have electricity. Which means you have some kind of income ... probably significantly more than many throughout our world ...

We are blessed with relationships, with material goods. We are blessed with health (well, most of us are ...).

So, how can we not rejoice? How can we not lift hands and hearts in praise to our amazing God?

How can we not rejoice in our bountiful blessings?

Today, echo the words of the psalmist: "I will rejoice because I am bountifully blessed."

No comments: